Adaptive Optics Opto-Mechanical Engineer
W.M. Keck Observatory seeks a qualified Opto-Mechanical Engineer at its facilities in Hawaii to join a team that develops optimizes and maintains the Observatory’s Adaptive Optics (AO) systems.
Keck Observatory operates two of the largest and most scientifically productive optical/infrared telescopes in the world. Both telescopes are equipped with operational Laser Guide Star (LGS) AO systems whose capabilities continue to be developed to maintain their scientific competitiveness. The twin 10-meter telescopes are located on the summit of Mauna Kea, at almost 14,000 feet above sea level on the Big Island of Hawaii, one of the premier sites for astronomy.
- Opto-mechanical design including analysis, tolerancing and error budgets.
- Implementation and optimization of opto-mechanical systems including installation and alignment.
- Maintenance of the AO system opto-mechanics including preventative maintenance,
- Performance monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Prepare and review written documentation and drawings for new systems and modifications to existing systems.
- B. S. in Opto-Mechanical, Optics or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience with Adaptive Optics or instrument development.
- Track record of precision designs of opto-mechanical components/systems.
- Competence with Zemax, SolidWorks or equivalent.
- Engineering process and documentation experience.
Applications/Resumes are received online only via the website: